On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 04:26:41 +0000, saul anthony babonas wrote:

>I've been following this discussion with some belated interest. Years ago I
>cooked up something dirt simple to turn a PDS into a SD file using the TSO
>print command. It wasn't very elegant but it got the job done at low cost.

SD?  Like a USB flash card?

Indeed.  While testing, I created a member, AAA* so it would be first.  It
appeared last.  Optimize seek movement.  First read the directory.  Sort
in TTR order.  FIND each member.  Great idea if you're the only job
using the device.

>The control card format is anything but intuitive I am iffy here but IIRC you
>must specify maxflds (why I have no clue) I hated the damn program myself as I
>had to relearn the control cards  all the time.

IEBGENER has something similar.  I guessed it's to know how much working
storage to GETMAIN.  I just used a big number and suitable REGION.

It should have stayed in the 20th Century.  Today, I think I'd NFS mount my
PDS on Solaris and use "pax".

But IEBGENER will create aliases.  I don't think it would work to NFS mount
on Solaris and use "ln".

-- gil