This was exactly why I asked the question we run both in house dfsort and
syncsort, don’t ask why. But because syncsort can take advantage of the zIIP
engines. We are leaning more towards that and not drive MSU costs if we thought
about converting the other way. At this point we are were just looking at it as
a savings. Both seem to work fine for our customers its just the extra expense
if we used DFSORT when it comes to the processor and our software costs.

Andy

The largest benefit is a financial one: you don't pay the zIIP MSUs.
A performance benefit can come from the fact that the zIIP is always running at
full speed, while your CP's can run at lower speeds.

Kees.

>>DFSORT can use zIIP on behalf of DB2 utilities, but not otherwise.
>>Here's more information:
> >
>>At this time, IBM has no plan for enabling DFSORT to exploit the
>>system z9 Integrated Information Processor (zIIP).  IBM realizes
>>DFSORT remains a prominent component of our customers' batch
>>workloads.  However,  the added controls that would need to be
>>implemented in order to maintain our high standards for performance,
>>reliability and system integrity are not justified in view of
>>estimations that there is a low offload potential and the value to
>>clients may be marginal.....[snip]
>
>I seem to remember that SyncSort offers an Add-On package that allows
>certain SyncSort processing to be offloaded to zIIPs. The above
>statement suggest that SyncSort's perfocmance is suffering from using
>zIIPs (simplified and exagerated, I know).

I understood "there is a low offload potential and the value to clients may be
marginal" as meaning that there would not be much benefit in using zIIP. Not
that it would be worse.

--
Tom Marchant

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the
intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the
message.