>Would it be worth investigating setting a resource group limit for the batch
>service class(es) to hold the total 4HRA down as a cost-saving measure, or are
>resource group limits going to cause more trouble than they are worth?

At month ends, we were hitting the Group Capacity Limits repeatedly, and the
systems were capping when the online work started in the morning.

During the night and early morning before online, batch had a lot of capacity
to use and it did use it. We introduced Resource Groups to limit what batch can
consume in the early morning. The goal was to bring down the R4HA until when
online start, and thereby make sure we will not get into capping.

We're using Resource Grpups with great success since March this year. No
negtive impact seen so far.

We defined a couple of WLM policies with different Resource Group Max values,
so we can easily and quickly adjust the amount of capacity batch can use. We're
using type 2, i.e. percentage of LPAR capacity.

We're using policy overrides to override the Resource Group MAX value instead
of changing the Resource Group assignment in the Service Classes. In other
words, there is only one Resource Group and it is assigned to all batch Service
Classes (except from an "emergeny" class). The RG MAX value is different in
each Service Policy. The later are named someting like RG_B10, RG_B12, etc. The
digits represent the percentage assigned. In the base policy, the RG does not
have a MAX value. MIN values are always empty (0).

--
Peter Hunkeler

--
Peter Hunkeler