On 9/19/2016 1:46 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
I belong to 'hard-last' school because once HSA is updated, all systems want to
IPL next with the new IODF. z/OS itself has no 'recollection' of what IODF it
was using previously. If a soft activate needs to be backed out, the next IPL
will come up matching HSA as long as you use the appropriate wild card
characters in LOADxx.

Changing a device from one type to another is actually accomplished by deleting
the old device and adding the new one. Deletion generally requires 'FORCE' on
the activate command. If the new IODF is wrong for any of the LPARs on the CEC,
you may find yourself having to POR to set things right. 'TEST' is the right
first step, but depending on what you're changing, you're usually instructed to
specify FORCE on the hard activate, so you need to proceed with caution.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-302-7535 Office
robin...@sce.com

I stand in agreement with my good friend and colleague, the distinguished gentleman from Southern California. You do SOFT activate on all images in the CEC, then HARD activate the final LPAR in the CEC. I did a Bit Bucket on using the HCD sysplex-wide activate as a time-saving procedure (We're Bad, We're Sysplex-Wide). You can grab it here (WTW): https://share.confex.com/share/122/webprogram/Handout/Session14648/Bit_Bucket_x2E.pdf

Regards,
Tom Conley