Data chaining was the original solution to this problem.

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 00:27:56 +0200 Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

:>
:>Below discussion triggered a question I could not answer by RTFM. I had never
thought about this before in this detail, but now that I do, I wonder if the
following is correct.
:>
:>Program allocates >4k of virtual storage. The real frames backing it may or
may not be contiguous. The program wants to use this area with some interface
(I/O, etc) that will use real addresses when accessing the storage, so it does
a PGFIX. PGFIX would move the possibly non-contiguous frames guaranteeing the
area is backed by contiguous frames. After all, the interface using real
addresses would expect the the frames to be contiguous.
:>
:>
:>Am I wrong? I would have expected to find this documented with the PGFIX or
PGSER FIX macros, but did not find it.

http://www.dissensoftware.com