On 10/19/2016 3:35 PM, Greg Dyck wrote:
On 10/19/2016 7:51 AM, Peter Hunkeler wrote:
But the net seems to be, my assumption is wrong. If an area >4k is PGFIXed, then I need to find the real address of every page and cannot assume the real storage is contiguous.

This is a correct statement. PGFIXing storage guarantees the page is assigned to a real frame and the real address of the frame can not change. But the real frames used for this will only be contiguous by chance.

Current GA z/VM _still_ has no support for large guest pages! So, while the world waits for EDAT support to be implemented by the z/VM developers, we have code that briefly fixes a large virtual storage area and then inspects it (using LRAG) to find the largest contiguous area we can get (up to a max of 16 4K pages I think) where both virtual and real addresses are contiguous. We unfix and free everything else but this area...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc