From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):LRECL=255 vs LRECL=259

My whole life I have seen variable length CLIST/EXEC libraries allocated as
RECFM=VB w/LRECL=259. Clearly, the intent was to allow up to 255-character
source lines.

At PSI, we provide the option for customers to allocate our CLIST/EXEC
libraries either RECFM=FB w/LRECL=80 or RECFM=VB w/LRECL=259. One customer
claims the industry-standard for RECFM=VB CLIST/EXEC libraries is LRECL=255
rather than LRECL=259. LRECL=255 would allow for only 251-character source
lines, which seems rather strange to me.

Of course, my personal observations and experiences provide nothing more than
anecdotal evidence. Like a man with two watches being unsure of the time, I am
now unsure if LRECL=259 is widespread practice or if I was observing only
outliers.

Any insight would be appreciated...

--

Edward E Jaffe