From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ed Jaffe
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: LRECL=255 vs LRECL=259

My whole life I have seen variable length CLIST/EXEC libraries allocated
as RECFM=VB w/LRECL=259. Clearly, the intent was to allow up to
255-character source lines.

At PSI, we provide the option for customers to allocate our CLIST/EXEC
libraries either RECFM=FB w/LRECL=80 or RECFM=VB w/LRECL=259. One
customer claims the industry-standard for RECFM=VB CLIST/EXEC libraries
is LRECL=255 rather than LRECL=259. LRECL=255 would allow for only
251-character source lines, which seems rather strange to me.

Of course, my personal observations and experiences provide nothing more
than anecdotal evidence. Like a man with two watches being unsure of the
time, I am now unsure if LRECL=259 is widespread practice or if I was
observing only outliers.

Any insight would be appreciated...

attachments from your system.