From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Allan Staller
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Catalogs in a SYSPLEX

" Prior to this job I worked at a shop where we supported sysplexes from a
single system to up to 10 LPARs in a single sysplex.  The master catalogs were
not shared , I think I would put forth one big reason for not sharing the
master catalog, would be system upgrades, when we went through the z/OS
upgrades, there were times where SYS1. Level data sets location changed from
one release to the next and the catalog needed to point to the new location for
the new release.  We would upgrade one LPAR at a time in a sysplex, which was
once a week, so it would be several weeks to complete a sysplex."

This is a non-starter. As far as I am concerned, everything that can be shared
should be shared (Two of anything that do not agree worse than nothing). If you
go with separate MCATS, you must spend a great deal of time ensuring they are
in sync w/each other.

Sure, you need multiple MCATs during the upgrade cycle, but when all is done,
there should be only one MCAT

We currently have a 2 LPAR sysplex and the master catalog in not shared.  Prior
to this job I worked at a shop where we supported sysplexes from a single
system to up to 10 LPARs in a single sysplex.  The master catalogs were not
shared , I think I would put forth one big reason for not sharing the master
catalog, would be system upgrades, when we went through the z/OS upgrades,
there were times where SYS1. Level data sets location changed from one release
to the next and the catalog needed to point to the new location for the new
release.  We would upgrade one LPAR at a time in a sysplex, which was once a
week, so it would be several weeks to complete a sysplex.

I think there are a lot of questions you have to ask yourself about how you are
going to handle the sysplex and what you are going to keep in the master
catalog, besides SYS1.  Note: I believe System Symbols are your friend when
setting up the catalog, for both data set names and VOLSER.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida