As I discussed previously on IBM-Main, I've played a bit with ABO. Some
observations:

-- The more CPU-intensive the program, the more it will benefit from ABO. Heavy
I/O hitters not so much.

-- There is virtually no overhead in an ABO-optimized program. I've some folks
use the term 'dynamic' for an ABO environment. ABO 'digests' an existing load
module and saves the new version in a separate location. At execution time,
there is no additional run-time setup or preparation.

-- I've not heard of any incorporation of ABO into the standard source/load
management products like Endevor or Panvalet or ISPW.

-- Probably the biggest advantage of ABO is that the run-time library may be PO
or library depending on the code. COBOL V5/V6 requires library (PDSE), which
may impact a shop's migration and sharing practices.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company