Bottom Line: I am looking for a means to RECALL a block of migrated GDS (GDG
generation datasets) from the previous month via a monthly task.

BACKGROUND
First, I'm in applications not systems.
Second, we are changing our storage management system where we must now define
(and redefine existing) GDG's with SCRATCH.  Most were unfortunately defined
with NOSCRATCH so there are a boatload of uncatalogued dataset on the system
for those that fell out of the GDG's LIMIT parm. .Plus, our current FDR storage
management system archives all the GDS' long before they would even drop off
the LIMIT, but that is beside the point here other than setting the LIMIT
really didn't have much priority because of this.. The point is our GDS are
archived and are always available even GDS dropped off the LIMIT YEARS ago.
This allowed us to go as far back a necessary to research issues. Now times are
changing and Storage management, rightly so, wants to clean up all the
uncatalogued datasets and fix this situation..
With the new system coming in the automatic FDR archiving of generation
datasets is going away and as mentioned above, GDGs are to be defined with
SCRATCH.  Because of the SCRATCH option where GDS' are deleted when dropped off
via the LIMIT we will need to reassess the LIMIT option on them to allow for
proper data recovery and research considerations. We frequently get requests to
look back at old data for various reasons.

Our main concern are the GDS' allocated daily as we are required to have seven
years of data available. We will update all pertinent daily GDGs to the max
LIMIT of 255.  However, this only is 'about' one year's worth of data. We have
some 500+ daily GDGs that have generations allocated. So backup/archiving of
these is a necessity.

ISSUE:
The current plan is to run a month's end job to backup/archive all of the
previous month's daily GDS into several ADRDSSU dump datasets with a naming
convention that indicates what YYYYMM of data is contained within.  However,
ADRDSSU will not pick up any dataset in a MIGRAT status. So these must be
RECALL'ed prior to the dump.

QUESTION:
Is there a means to call in, or do a HRECALL on a block of GDS? For example
Gens -0 thru -31 without out having to code each gen separately?  Of course
gens 0 thru about -7 will probably not be migrated at this point but you get
the idea... hopefully.
I can certainly do this with a REXX exec doing a HRECALL on each needed but
would like to avoid that if possible.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.