[Default] On 23 Feb 2017 12:59:08 -0800, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
bill.wood...@gmail.com (Bill Woodger) wrote:

>I don't think so either. There is documentation of the possibility of symbol
>substitution, but nothing about placement of commas, nothing about
>continuation symbols, and a piece about embedded blanks being possible.
>Particularly this latter could be affected by the embedding of comments in
>such a way.
>
>For the processing of the PARMDD data set(s), explicit documentation of the
>processing of comments (if it is done) would be required.
>
>As far as I can tell, if you want to put PARM='LUMP', you could have:
>
>Dataset 1: L followed by blanks
>Dataset 2: U followed by blanks
>Dataset 3: M followed by blanks
>Dataset 4: P folowed by blanks
>
>How would you tell, if that is possible, where a comment was? There's no
>specified requirement to "break" at a specific column on on a comma, as one
>long "string" of up to 32760 characters are created.

The knowledge center says the processing strips out blanks and
sequence numbers.  I am not certain as to where a sequence number
would be in format V or VB data sets or Unix files.  Is there a manual
that goes into excruciating detail as to how this works?  The JCL
reference doesn't.  You can use symbols and system symbols if the parm
data is instream.  I agree with your example and suspect the only way
to tell for sure is to run tests which I can't do without a system.

Clark Morris