But how would support for a longer parameter possibly break an existing
program? The program is passed the address of a binary half word (the length of
the content of the parm) followed by that content. Even if a much longer parm
was supported nothing would change for a program that is currently invoked with
a certain parameter.

The program would probably break if somebody passes a 1000 character parameter
to a program that expects only 8 characters. But it would probably break as
well if you pass such a program a 9 character parameter.

Fred!

Sent from my new iPad

> On 27 Feb 2017, at 08:54, Allan Staller <allan.stal...@hcl.com> wrote:
>
> ">No. IBM chose **not to break** thousands upon thousands of programs that
> were perfectly happy with 100 byte parm fields, provided via JCL.
>> They added a new mechanism for those program, where 100 bytes was not
>> sufficient."
>

> My reply was to Gil who was complaining about IBM's implementation of PARMDD
> (it should have been....). The "not to break" is a good thing.
> Gil seems to think that breaking existing programs by introducing
> incompatable function is OK to do. I disagree.
>
> I am in support of the path IBM chose.

ATTENTION:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and only meant for the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, don't use or disclose it in
any way. Please let the sender know and delete the message immediately.