From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Ray Overby
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 1:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Do you use CA-ACF2 and CICS or IMS? Be aware your CICS/IMS
developers have security admin priviledges and can do whatever they want to the
ACF2 database.

Leonardo,

Do the CICS and IMS developers have WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library? In other words, when they create a program to issue the ACF2 SVC A
supercall request is that load library APF? I would assume that the program was
link edited as AC(1).

I was the ACF2 developer that originally implemented the ACF2 supercall
support. This update was likely completed by me sometime in the early 80's. I
left SKK/UCCELL/CA in July of 1988 so I have no idea what changes were made to
the ACF2 code after I left. There are several things to point out for the code
I created way back when:

-    Supercall was implemented in SVC A only. SVC S was not changed.

-    SVC A implements system entry validation (logon) and system exit
(logoff) as well as LOGONID, ACCESS RULE, and INFOSTG database i/o.

-    Supercall (as I implemented it) required the requester (i.e. the
program that issued SVC A with Supercall) to be "apf authorized". I can't
remember if I tested for PSW Key 0-7 and/or Supervisor state in addition to APF.

-    PSW Key 8 problem state programs that are not APF authorized were
not allowed to successfully issue SVC A supercalls.

-    Supercall was not limited to just CICS/IMS developers. It was
limited to any ACF2 user who has WRITE or higher authority to an APF authorized
library AND the program is link edited as AC(1).

Bottom line is application programs (PSW Key 8 problem state NON-APF) should
not be able to successfully issue the SVC A Supercalls. I can't say how the
ACF2 code works today but I believe this was how it worked as of July, 1988.

So, if your CICS and IMS developers CAN successfully issue ACF2 SVC A supercall
requests AND they do not have WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library then there may be an "integrity" problem.  I would suggest reporting to
CA that your PSW Key 8 problem state non-apf authorized program can
successfully issue ACF2 SVC A supercall requests.
Be prepared to provide the program as well as the output from the call to
demonstrate it works.

If your installation has given WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library to the CICS and IMS developers then this is a problem created by the
installation. Note that giving WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library is analogous to giving a linux user root authority. Users with WRITE or
higher access to an APF authorized library can do anything they want to the
system.........

You should note that RACF (and probably TSS) have similar capability to the
ACF2 SVC A supercall support. For example, as an APF authorized program I can
issue SAF calls (RACROUTE) to create and delete security credentials with NO
extra ordinary RACF privileges. I can also issue ICHEINTY's to read/update the
RACF database as an APF authorized program with NO extra ordinary RACF
privileges. In my mind, I see no difference between the "original" ACF2
supercall support and how RACF works today (I may be biased ).

In general, z/OS APIs that have a code path that any user can execute and other
code paths that are restricted to authorized users will ALLOW APF authorized
program to execute the restricted code path. So, by giving someone update
access to an APF authorized library you are saying "they can invoke ANY API
that is available on this system that would normally be restricted".  That
would include the ACF2 SVC A supercalls.
This would include all RACROUTE requests...........

Assuming that the CICS and IMS developers have WRITE or higher access to an APF
authorized library the real question is: Why would an organization give CICS
and IMS application developers WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library? CICS transactions "normally" would not need to be APF. I am not as
familiar with IMS application coding but would think they would not require it
either. By giving these developers WRITE or higher access to an APF authorized
library the INSTALLATION is allowing them to issue ANY of the restricted APIs
on the installations z/OS system (not just the ACF2 SVC A supercalls).

I hope this information helps clarify things for you.

Ray Overby