My question I guess was a bit more theoretical.

If I submitted an assembler job that ran in a tight loop doing nothing but
using CPU, it went straight into the RDR, high service class, and ran for 10
CPU seconds.

I'd expect the job to run at least 10 seconds wall clock time, plus the
overhead of the system, but never under 10 seconds unless it is multithreaded
perhaps.

>From SMF recs I can identify jobs sorted on cpu and excp to try to get the
>worst offenders in all cases, but then I have to go into the individual job
>log and see elapsed time.  I have already discovered huge wait times that I
>cannot explain due to what I think is taking 20 minutes to not find a dataset,
>perhaps some sort of catalog search problem.

So, as Lizette pointed out, my scheme has flaws because there are too many
factors that influence elapsed time, including locating system issues from RMF3
and other nasty SMF record types.  It's easier to write a program to parse the
job logs. :)

Thanks for all you help and knowledge.  I joined this group about 17 years ago,
and I'm still the baby of the group. :)

/Lindy