Leaving aside for the moment the question of whether it's really necessary to
'move' COBOL 4.2 to a separate environment, the SMPE anomalies cited are due
mostly to how BUILDMCS works. That process is based on dlibs, not on targets,
so any sysmod that is applied but not accepted will not be picked up. That's
why it's critical to accept all installed IBM maintenance before running
BUILDMCS. Usermods are a special problem. Every sentient voice in the SMPE
world says *never* to accept a usermod. But if it's not accepted, then it will
get dropped by BUILDMCS. A couple of solutions:

-- Accept the usermod before BUILDMCS. IMHO not a good idea because, well, see
above.

-- Do just what you did, then reinstall the usermod in the new zone. Which is
what you did. In order to reinstall, you need to treat it just as you would in
a 'normal' environment. However you would handle a PTF that conflicts with a
usermod, use the same technique here. I have my own preference for that
process, but you should do what makes sense. I think you're OK now.

Another question is whether you plan to continue with regular maintenance to
COBOL 4.2. Depending your timeline calendar, that might be prudent. Or you
could freeze it as is and plow forward; only an issue if a serious problem
develops in 4.2 that you have to fix before 6.1 is ready for prime time.

The status of MCOB001 is a result of your BUILDMCS procedure. I think it's
purely cosmetic. If you reinstall MCOB001 to resolve the MODID conflict, it
will look prettier but function the same.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company