0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> A recurrent question in these fora is, "How can I make links appearing
> in documents viewed in a mainframe editor active?"  Cbttape.org
> probably has an answer.  Or an ISV.
>
> Many years ago, when the risks of TCP/IP were first suspected (the
> perceived hazard then was information theft), someone suggested
> hereabouts that only authorized data administrators should be allowed
> use of TCP/IP.  No, was the counter, people with such authority should
> be forbidden TCP/IP, which shoulc be allowed only to users with weak,
> harmless IDs and no access to sensitive data.
>
> Years ago, at the height of the Good Times virus hoax, the
> conventional and correct wisdom was that viruses spread only by floppy
> disks, not by email.  Microsoft and others jumped in to fill that
> void.

predating morris worm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm

by nearly year, was xmas exec (email) on bitnet (this fora originated on
corporate sponsored university bitnet).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BITNET
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Tree_EXEC

we had looked at problem before that ... but people wanted to do things
like that anyway.

recent thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#47 A flaw in the design; The Internet's
founders saw its promise but didn't foresee users attacking one another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#49 A flaw in the design; The Internet's
founders saw its promise but didn't foresee users attacking one another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#50 A flaw in the design; The Internet's
founders saw its promise but didn't foresee users attacking one another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#56 A flaw in the design; The Internet's
founders saw its promise but didn't foresee users attacking one another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#59 A flaw in the design; The Internet's
founders saw its promise but didn't foresee users attacking one another
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#83 Time to sack the chief of computing
in the NHS?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017e.html#85 Time to sack the chief of computing
in the NHS?

at 1996 Moscone MDC, all the banners said "internet" but the constant
refrain in all the sessions was "preserve your investment". The issue
was that a paradigm of automatic executed scripts included in data files
had grown on on small, private, safe, business lans ...  and was being
extended to the wild anarchy of the internet w/o any additional
countermeasures.

Until he passes, the Internet RFC standards editor use to let me help
with STD1. He also sponsored my talk on Why the internet isn't business
critical dataprocessing for ISI and USC computer security graduate
students (in part based on the compensating procedures I had to do for
"electronic commerce"). recent reference
http://www.galric.com/~lynn/2017e.html#11 The Geniuses that Anticipated the
Idea of the Internet
http://www.galric.com/~lynn/2017e.html#14 The Geniuses that Anticipated the
Idea of the Internet

Shortly after graduation and joining the science center had (also)
ported APL\360 to CP/67-CMS for CMS\APL ... redoing memory management
for large virtual memory, demand paged environment, also adding API to
system services (like file i/o), opening APL to doing real world
applications.  One of the early users on CMS\APL on the science center
system were the business planners in Armonk hdqtrs, loading the most
valuable corporate data ... detailed customer information, and doing
business models. The science center also had a lot of non-employee
users, including staff and students from universities in the boston area
(mit, bu, etc). As a result, we had to demonstrate a very high level of
integrity and security.

A couple years later, IBM had hired former gov. employee as CSO (at one
time had been head of presidential detail) and I got assigned to run
around with him ... talking about computer security (and learning a
little about physical security).