From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Peter Relson
Sent: 16 May 2017 20:58
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ATTACH with RSAPF=YES

<snip>
We have a requirement to attach user modules from an unauthorised library
and execute them from an STC which runs APF authorised.
</snip>

You need to reject that requirement. It cannot be accomplished while
maintaining system integrity. Use of something like "fork" can perhaps
accomplish the goal without meeting the letter of the requirement.

<snip>
Well, if you want to run unauthorized stuff you would first need to set your
job as non-APF by resetting the bit.
</snip>

And if you do that, you must *never* turn the bit back on. Turning of
JSCBAUTH is a fairly common approach, once the "authorized stuff" has been
done. But you must then leave it off in order to maintain system integrity.

In all likelihood you should NEVER use RSAPF=YES. It is provided so that the
initiator can attach the jobstep program task. I have no idea why it was
documented. Way back when, even internal things were documented. Maybe when
internal-only things were being removed from the books, no one realized how
internal this one was.

The only z/OS-supported mechanism for authority-decreasing is SYNCH(X).
And I do intentionally exclude authority-decreasing PC's (e.g., a PC that
gets control in problem state when the invoker was supervisor state)  from
what is supported by z/OS. You can't be stopped from doing so, but things
likely won't behave the way you need if there was a (E)SPIE present. There
might be cases other than (E)SPIE that similarly would cause anomalous
behavior. I have no idea if this is documented explicitly. It's just
something I remember being told long long ago.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN