From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Frank Swarbrick
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 12:40 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Possible RFE for new DISP JCL parameter options

One MVS behavior that has annoyed me since we migrated to z/OS from VSE is the
fact that MVS has no DISP option that will both create a data set if it does
not already exist and simply allow its use if it does already exist.  One has
to "emulate" this behavior using a two step process, where step 1 specifies
DISP=(MOD,DELETE) and step two specifies DISP=NEW.

Since this use case exists so often (in my environment, anyway!), shouldn't
there be direct JCL support, probably a new DISP option, to perform this
behavior without the need for an additional step to first delete the file (if
it exists) so that the DISP=NEW in the later step will always succeed?

MVS *does* have such a feature for Unix system files.  The following assume the
default PATHDISP=(KEEP,DELETE).

PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT,OEXCL)
This creates the Unix file if it does not already exist, and gives a JCL error
if the file does already exist.
This behavior is similar to DISP=(NEW,CATLG) for an MVS data set.

PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT)
This creates the Unix file if it does not already exist, and allows the program
to use the existing file when it already exists.
There currently is no equivalent behavior for an MVS data set.

PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT,OTRUNC)
This creates the Unix file if it does not already exist, and allows the program
to use the existing file when it already exists.  Additionally, when the
program opens the file its file length is truncated to zero.
There currently is no equivalent behavior for an MVS data set.

PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT,OAPPEND)
This creates the Unix file if it does not already exist, and allows the program
to use the existing file when it already exists.  Additionally, the file offset
is set to the end of the file after earch write, so that data is written at the
end of the file.
This behavior is similar to DISP=(MOD,CATLG) for an MVS data set.

I would like to see two new PATH options that behave in a manner similar to the
two options above that are not currently supported for MVS data sets.  I
suggest the following:

DISP=CREAT: Similar in behavior to PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT).
DISP=TRUNC: Similar in behavior to PATHOPTS=(ORDWR,OCREAT,OTRUNC)

If I make an RFE for this will you vote for it?

Thanks,
Frank