I'm all in favor of the RFE in principle, but I think that choice of keyword is
crucial. Based on decades of history: what happens in JCL stays in JCL.
Forever.

I personally find the OMVS keywords unintuitive and therefore--unless one uses
them frequently--deucedly difficult to keep straight. In the ancient NDM
(ancestor of Connect:Direct) 'REPLACE' is used in the sense suggested by Gil:
if it exists, overwrite it; otherwise create it; copy the data and move on with
no muss and no fuss.

There are other possible values, but REPLACE seems to be available in JCL. Old
farts may remember the advent of 'REUSE' in the TSO ALLOCATE command. The
lengths we had to go to before REUSE move me to nominate the old mechanism as
the single worst design point of MVS. At least the one that impinged on users
in the most annoying manner.

Time for an innovation in JCL.

.
.