On 2017-06-30, at 15:23, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

> I agree on both points.  I am totally mystified by the presence of O prefix
> on the PATHOPTS values.  It makes it so much hard for me to read; specially
> OWRONLY.  Why not just W, R and WR?  Sheesh.

Consistency with UNIX/C.  See, e.g. the description of open() in:
XL C/C++
Runtime Library Reference

Really, it ought to be O_WRONLY, but the JCL folks couldn't see their
way to that degree of consistency.

C macros endure similar constraints to Assembler EQUated symbols
-- they must be globally unique, thus they are longer than you'd
otherwise think necessary.

-- gil