Charles,

Even if the regulation says:

"Non-Eu businesses processing the data of EU citizens will also have to appoint a representative in the EU."

What legal recourse does the EU have to go after a US company that does not "appoint a representative in the EU"?

I think the trick here is that should a company "appoint a representative in the EU" thinking that it's something simple to appease the EU, then they have a business presence in the UA. Once they have "a representative in the EU", then the EU has a legal entity to go after for non-compliance.

The company I work for has determined that under no circumstance will we "appoint a representative in the EU". And, if the EU attempts legal action, our defense is that EU do not apply to a US business that only does work in the US. Just because a EU citizen chooses to use our services while in the US, that does not constitute a EU business presence. (No matter what the GDPR is trying to claim.)

Take a simple example. A EU person stays at a Florida based Bed & Breakfast. And, the guest supplies his address and phone number. The GDPR 'claims' that the GDPR now applies. But, such a claim violates the the sovereignty of the USA. And, since the Bed & Breakfast does not have a presence in the EU, that sovereignty protects it.

In other words, the GDPR can claim to reach into other countries, but legally, it can not. It's just trying to scare people into compliance.

Tony Thigpen