From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Lack of Support for Doc for COBOL

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The number of defects reported against COBOL V4 is almost zero!  That is one
>> of
>> the reasons why we are considering dropping support for COBOL V4.

Sorry to persuade you otherwise. After much talk to/from management we are
delaying going to the next v6(?) in COBOL.
We/they don’t trust PDSE. It has broken once to often for this customer (I
agree) and they lost load modules up the ying yang.
They also got feedback from the programmers and how they hate the new COBOL’s.
Management knows that sooner or later they have to go but between PDSE and
COBOL, they are delaying it as long as they can.
They understand that they are out of service but to quote one VP better to be
out of service than to loose load modules and that means downtime and they
can’t afford downtime.
The auditors know about this but as it turns out they hate PDSe’s as much as
upper management. The CIO is aware and not happy but he got burned with PDSE
and he agrees that it is worth the chance. I was surprised at their resistance
but when you here venom coming out of a VP’s mouth about PDSE’s you would
understand.
I tried to get the programmers resistance to have them write down their issues,
but I had a feeling they didn’t have to justify much as the VP was really
pissed.
When IBM makes enemies like this over one portion of the OS, they are asking
IMO to loose a customer.

Ed