> On Sep 6, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
> I understand the PDSE fear, though we've not run in to any issues.  I don't
> understand what programmers don't like about COBOL V5/V6.  Do you have any
> concrete examples?  Just wondering.  I like the new compiler releases.  The
> NUMCHECK option, when used in development, looks to be very interesting and
> useful.
>
> Frank

Frank,
The mere mention that it needs PDSe send spine tingling messages to the nerve
center and sooner or later the VP’s get involved and when they hear PDSe they
say its too soon come back it 5 years when it is bug free.
The COBOL itself issue is that (this is bits and pieces I have heard) they just
do not like it and the documentation sucks (I agree) I have read some of the
manuals and at times you need to be a lawyer to understand them. With one
manual I photo copied a few pages and went back to my desk to see if I could
understand it and after 15 minutes of talking out loud to myself while trying
to understand it, I ripped the pages up and threw them away. I never wanted to
see the damn manual again and didn’t want to have to explain it aloud as I
can’t.

Ed

Ed