On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Mark Pace <pacemainl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to delete a dataset that is not cataloged any longer.  I'm not
> sure why it is not in a catalog, but it is not.  I've tried to re-catalog
> the dataset, but it doesn't catalog.
>
> So I have tried to every combination of IDCAMS DELETE I can think of.
> NONVSAM
> NVR
> etc..

​Are you saying that you have done the following and it failed?

//DELETE EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *
 DELETE SOME.DSN NVR FILE(VOLUME)
/*
//VOLUME DD DISP=OLD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,VOL=SER=volume
​
​That has always worked for me. That's for a nonVSAM data set on "volume".​

> All return
> ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 8 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLEG-42  - Dataset
> not found.
>
> So I tried IEHPROGM
>   SCRATCH DSNAME=MARPACE.GODADDY.CERT,VOL=3390=STDL09,PURGE
>
> IEC614I SCRATCH FAILED - RC 008, DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS (0406001E),
> STEP010,STDL09,MARPACE.GODADDY.CERT
>
> 0406001E -  Verification of SMS flags failed; caller indicates the data set
> is not cataloged, but the *FMT1 DSCB indicates the data set is cataloged*
>
> So I have no idea how to remove this dataset, IDCAMS won't do it because
> it's not in a catalog, and IEHPROGM won't do it because it thinks it is in
> a catalog.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
> Mainline’s positions or opinions
>
> Mark D Pace
> Senior Systems Engineer
> Mainline Information Systems

I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown