I can't speak for BPXWDYN, but I remember when REUSE became available in TSO.
Before that, a CLIST writer (this was before REXX was ported to TSO) had to
code like this:

CONTROL NOMSG
FREE DD(like-I-care-if-it's-allocated)
CONTROL MSG
ALLOC DD(now-I-want-it) ...

This was necessary because if the DD was not already allocated, a gratuitous
FREE would give the user a snarky message to that effect. With REUSE, the
allocation would take place with no distraction to the user either way.

The result was the *same* DD allocated to the data set(s) desired. This goes
back to around 1980 +/-.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson