Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: GDG with timestamp

So how would the GDG base definition would look like so that all the tape
GDG has creation date ?

On 12-Mar-2018 10:09 PM, "jdoll.a0...@gmail.com IBM-Main" <
jdoll.a0...@gmail.com> wrote:

Years ago, we had a vendor application that was setup to create a Hourly
Log File in a GDG.

Sometime in early December a Step in the Monthly Cycle jobs would create
the GDG's for the next year (A program created 366 Define GDG Cards) , Then
trigger a "Admin" job that had the authority to create GDG's.

GDGnames were Pxx.ApplName.LOGFILES.Syymmdd with one for each day of the
year.

Internal to the application it knew what date it was from the system
clock, and starting at 1am (local) would create a +1 Generation (with the
00:00-00:59 Logs)  at 2am next one ...  with the correct GDGbase Name.

I think we had something like 250 cycles defined in the base, incase of a
restart of the application it would create a new +1 or a system IPL ..

The Application code never could figure out Daylight Saving time.. Also
was clueless on leap year, it would create Feb 29th every year even if it
was not a leap year.

We had other application that did log files at "Flat Files" with Date and
Time as last two nodes of the dataset names that were generated dynamically
when created.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter" <dbajava...@gmail.com>