From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Mark Jacobs - Listserv <mark.jac...@custserv.com>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 1:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: GDG with timestamp

Unless you're using it for something else, the ACCOUNT-INFO field in the
catalog entry can be altered to provide the information you need. Not ideal for
sure, but can be used.

Mark Jacobs

Peter<mailto:dbajava...@gmail.com>
March 12, 2018 at 1:47 PM
Ok thanks for confirming on this... Would have been if it had this feature

On 12-Mar-2018 11:14 PM, "Seymour J Metz"
<sme...@gmu.edu><mailto:sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> The GDG base is fixed; the GDS has a low level qualifier identifying the
> generation and version, colloquially know as goovoo. If you want the date
> or anything else from system symbols in the name, don't use a GDS.
>

> --
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3<http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3>

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or
directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or
aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original
message as an attachment to
'phish...@meredith.com<mailto:phish...@meredith.com>'.

Seymour J Metz<mailto:sme...@gmu.edu>
March 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM
The GDG base is fixed; the GDS has a low level qualifier identifying the
generation and version, colloquially know as goovoo. If you want the date or
anything else from system symbols in the name, don't use a GDS.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3<http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3>

So using dynamic systems symbols I can make use &YYMMDD, but should I
mention any special value in GDG base to use the dynamic system symbols ?

On 12-Mar-2018 10:31 PM, "jdoll.a0...@gmail.com
IBM-Main"<mailto:JDOLL.A0009@Gmail.comIBM-Main> <
jdoll.a0...@gmail.com<mailto:jdoll.a0...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> The LogFile went to DASD, and the create date was in the VTOC information,
> For tape files, CA1 would record the create date also.
>
> The GDG Base itself had a create date of early December, The Files in the
> GDG would have create dates when they were created by the +1 ..
>
> Note the 23:00 to 23:59 log would have the create date of the "Next Day"
> as it was created just after midnight, but the GDGBase it was written to
> had the correct log date. (most of the time), Not sure when the logic in
> their log program switched it to the "next" day. If the application was
> down from ~00:00 to ~ 00:15 it would then switch to the "next day" for the
> logs writting.
>
> Really was not a issue, when the application teams were aware of that
> issue and would code the "next days" gdgbase in to get and random next day
> data.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter"
> <dbajava...@gmail.com><mailto:dbajava...@gmail.com>

March 12, 2018 at 1:32 PM
So using dynamic systems symbols I can make use &YYMMDD, but should I
mention any special value in GDG base to use the dynamic system symbols ?

On 12-Mar-2018 10:31 PM, "jdoll.a0...@gmail.com
IBM-Main"<mailto:JDOLL.A0009@Gmail.comIBM-Main> <

send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu<mailto:lists...@listserv.ua.edu> with
the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or
directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or
aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original
message as an attachment to
'phish...@meredith.com<mailto:phish...@meredith.com>'.

jdoll.a0...@gmail.com IBM-Main<mailto:jdoll.a0...@gmail.com>
March 12, 2018 at 1:01 PM
The LogFile went to DASD, and the create date was in the VTOC information,
For tape files, CA1 would record the create date also.

The GDG Base itself had a create date of early December, The Files in the
GDG would have create dates when they were created by the +1 ..

Note the 23:00 to 23:59 log would have the create date of the "Next Day" as
it was created just after midnight, but the GDGBase it was written to had
the correct log date. (most of the time), Not sure when the logic in their
log program switched it to the "next" day.  If the application was down from
~00:00 to ~ 00:15 it would then switch to the "next day" for the logs
writting.

Really was not a issue, when the application teams were aware of that issue
and would code the "next days" gdgbase in to get and random next day data.

Peter<mailto:dbajava...@gmail.com>
March 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM
So how would the GDG base definition would look like so that all the tape
GDG has creation date ?

On 12-Mar-2018 10:09 PM, "jdoll.a0...@gmail.com
IBM-Main"<mailto:JDOLL.A0009@Gmail.comIBM-Main> <

send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu<mailto:lists...@listserv.ua.edu> with
the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or
directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or
aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original
message as an attachment to
'phish...@meredith.com<mailto:phish...@meredith.com>'.

--

Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service
Global Technology Services

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.
Lt. Gen. David Morrison

This electronic message, including any attachments, may contain proprietary,
confidential or privileged information for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). You are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of this message is prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete it.