> If you want a break with 3270, why a Rube Goldberg with line mode. Make the
> application an X11 client instead.
>
> We'd all be better of if SUN's paradigm of the thin client (X11 server) had
> caught on.

Um, well, maybe.

You CAN run X11 clients on z/OS. But my personal experience is that X11 has a
lot more network traffic than just a plain old full-duplex, character mode
application (using curses or not). I use emacs on z/OS (and, usually, even on
other platforms) in character mode, not as an X11 client. It's just more
responsive, and adding X11 to emacs doesn't really buy you much.

Other posters in this thread have mentioned running emacs off-platform (there's
a nice windows port) and then using things like ange-ftp and  remote shell
sessions (via ssh) to access z/OS. I used to do that for remote access to Unix
systems, and it's actually a very nice model. All the GUI interaction happens
locally (making it fast), and you're not dependent on the level of emacs that
happens to be installed on the remote server.

But I've never been able to get that working with z/OS. (I also haven't tried
all that hard). Maybe I should. BUt I'm going tohave to learn a lot more elisp
to do that....