David Crayford wrote:
>RDz has a different editor per language!

RDz (now IDz) has a different *default* editor per programming language.
That's because IBM decided -- quite correctly, in my view -- that a
developer who programs in language X would typically prefer to start
working in an editor that is popular with language X. This behavior is also
consistent with the general "perspectives" approach in Eclipse that tries
to provide task-specific adaptations as you move around.

However, that's only the default behavior. It's really easy to use a
different editor on-the-fly and/or to change the default(s), and it always
has been, from what I remember. See here for instructions for Version 14.1
of IDz (the latest release as I write this), for example:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSQ2R2_14.1.0/com.ibm.etools.rdz.language.editors.doc/topics/czdchoose_editor.html

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com