On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:54:48 -0500, Elardus Engelbrecht wrote:

>Since you mentioned HLASM, did you also searched Assembler-L?

I have, but:
o Since I didn't know the explation involved HLASM when I asked the question,
  it's far more likely that I''d have asked here than ASSEBLER-LIST
o IBM's HLASM lead says that since 2003 he's seen no such discussion there.

>AFAIK, I believe there was a sort of discussion [ in a discussion list (but
>which one? ] about double ampersands, but can't remember if that was indeed
>for SYSIN and SYMBOLS.

>>//SYSIN DD *,SYMBOLS=?
>Where do you have a problem? at the SYMBOLS= statement or inside the SYSIN DD
>*?

In the instream data, not in the DD statement.

>>They are not collapsed to single ampersands as in other JCL contexts.
>>the explanation given, perhaps by an IBM representative, was the intent to
>>cause minimum disruption to HLASM SYSIN.
>
>How so? I am curious about that one.

I'd have made the opposite design decision, but since "&&" is endemic in
HLASM
source, IBM elected to preserve them.

My RCF went to JES2, where development is inclined to change the behavior.

Thanks,
gil