On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 11:59:18 -0500, John McKown wrote:

>> Are the A and B HLQs aliased to the same catalogue?
>>
>> The alias will be in the catalogue for A, and if DSN lookups for B.*
>> don't go to the same catalogue then the lookup for your alias will not
>> be found.
>>
>​RCF time, I guess. I tested and you are correct (of course). But the
>manual does not say anything about the ALIAS name being required to be in
>the same catalog as the base name.​

This has been discussed here so often that even I know it.  So I'm astonished
that it's not documented.

But which manual should describe it?  It should have cross-references from all
relavant others.

There ought to be an RFE tnat when the lookup fails in B's catalog the search
should
be re-driven from A's catalog.

And the rule for SYMOLIC aliases is different.

The behavior of SYMBOLIC aliases is so usefully different that there ought to
be an
RFE that a SYMBOLIC alias could be defined that doesn't contain an actual
substitutable symbol.

-- gil