In article <3154560307111841.wa.mutazilahgmail....@listserv.ua.edu> you wrote:
> On Mon, 7 May 2018 08:58:15 -0500, Tom Marchant <m42tom-ibmm...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> >>Updating 32-bit programs to conform to
> >>AM64 requirements is far less onerous
> >>than the massive changes required to
> >>create a 64-bit application.
> >
> >No, it isn't. Why do you think it is?

> All references to "L" to load an address need
> to be changed to "LG".

Not necessarily. When we implemented large heap support for SAS/C, we
used a scheme where we could avoid re-writing large parts of the
assembler source by limitting ourselves to 2G "Continents" (a term I
coined). By calling IARV64 and requesting 4G, we are guaranteed that
at least 2G can be addressed via L and ST and so on in AMODE64 as long
as the high half of the 64-bit register has been set. Testing the high
half of the register in AMODE31 should be as easy as testing bit 32
to determine if you need to switch to AMODE64 or not. As long as you
don't cross the 2G boundary, you can safely use L, ST, LA and whatever
other non-grand instructions you desire and still be using memory above
the bar. This falls down when you just want to look at some pointer
in a control block to determine if you need to go AMODE64, but you could
handle that by bumping your starting point from 0 in the low half of
the continent to x'80000000'. You'd have almost what you're proposing
with the additional overhead of ensuring the high half of your register
contains your continent when you recognize the bit and switch to AMODE64.

> All A() constants need
> to be changed to AD().

Not unless you're also trying to support RMODE64

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513