From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Edwards
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2018 6:23 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: GETMAIN LOC=32

On Fri, 11 May 2018 05:32:46 -0500, Paul Edwards <mutazi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What I did was provide an option such that any request to activate AM31
>with BSM instead activates AM32.

BTW, it would be good if z/Arch had a similar option. ie you can configure the
hardware so that any attempt to activate AM24 can be overridden to instead
activate AM31/32/64.
Similarly an override for any attempt to activate AM31, and a downgrade option
for
AM64 to activate AM24/31/32.

That way you can set all the overrides to
AM64 and ensure that everything running
on your system is AM64-compliant, and
the system never leaves AM64. A z/OS
shop would become a pure AM64
environment.

Unlike Windows and x64 hardware, 32-bit software can be run natively under
AM64. It doesn't need a special mode. Basically z/Arch hardware is superior to
x64 and this would be a great selling point I think - a pure 64-bit
environment, even when running 32-bit software.

BFN. Paul.