Seymour Metz wrote:
>SCP was certainly inspired by CP/M, but m$ was not.

I don't think that's a fair characterization. Microsoft was *deeply*
"inspired" by CP/M, per the historical record. In fact, Microsoft was a
CP/M licensee and sold CP/M as part of the Microsoft SoftCard for Apple II
computers. I'd say that qualifies as "inspired." The Microsoft SoftCard
plugged into one of the slots in an Apple II (or successor, such as the
popular Apple //e), and it contained a Zilog Z80 microprocessor to run CP/M
plus some "glue" logic to wed the card (and operating system) to the Apple
II underneath.

According to Wikipedia, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen had the original
idea to "port" CP/M to the Apple II. Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer
Products (SCP) developed the original SoftCard prototype, and, later, Bill
Gates and Don Burtis joined Tim Patterson in finishing the product. The
SoftCard was Microsoft's top revenue source in 1980, and it became the #1
most popular CP/M platform.

Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
>CP/M was very similar to any DOS version. The most
>important (IMHO) exception was lack of directories.

86-DOS, MS-DOS, and PC-DOS did not have subdirectories either when
initially released. It wasn't until Version 2.0 (March 8, 1983, along with
the IBM PC/XT) that MS-DOS and PC-DOS got subdirectories, inspired by
Microsoft's Xenix (UNIX) endeavors.

CP/M 2.2 (released sometime in 1979) did not include subdirectories as such
but did include 16 numbered user areas, i.e. a fixed number of pre-named
subdirectories one level deep. This feature was a direct lift from MP/M.
MS-DOS/PC-DOS Version 1.x didn't have any analogous feature.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com