On 16/05/2018 2:41 AM, Phil Smith III wrote:
I am definitely a Rexx fan but I have to agree that the necessity for hacks
like these does not speak well for the language.

Eh, any worse than leading "my" or "h" or whatever TF it is that folks use
in whatever those new-fangled languages the kids are using? As Gil wrote,
you can use a digit, but it's fuglier.

It's interesting what we consider new. The three scripting languages I mentioned in this thread are all in their twenties.

1. Python 1990, 28 years old
2. Lua 1993, 25 years old
3. Ruby  1995, 23 years old.

The unfortunate thing about REXX is that it hasn't improved over the years. Here's a post from 1995 highlighting features from Object REXX that would be useful in classic REXX http://www.markcrocker.com/rexxtipsntricks/rxtt28.2.0252.html. The do/over loop is fantastic and would provide a means to do basic introspection on stem variables. Returning stem variables from functions, great! Little things like that would significantly improve the language.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)