Actually, the upshot is exactly not that.  Symbols in SYSIN are always
resolved when requested by SYMBOLS=.  The program that reads that SYSIN
never sees any symbols.

The 2nd parm of SYMBOLS is a DDname for a substitution report.  I would
have assumed you'd get that regardless, but evidently, the SYSIN file has
to be OPENed to get the substitution report.

sas