On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:13:21 -0400, Phil Smith III wrote:

>Steve Smith wrote:
>
>>Isn't #1 impossible?  From what I've retained (or think I have) of 3270
>>programming, a "tab" is merely the start of an unprotected field.
>Catch-22.
>
>Correct. You cannot tab to a protected field. And I suspect that a request
>for an update to the 3270 protocol is not likely to be fulfilled at this
>point.

Reading the RFE, it appears that the submitter does not want to be able to
tab to a PAS field; rather he wants to be able to define a PAS field that
will be skipped by tab.

Does 3270 protocol require that PAS fields be writable, therefore tabbable?
Bad design.  It's perfectly reasonable to want to specify a read-only PAS
menu item.  (Too few bits in the attribute byte?)

I believe many emulators nowadays interpret double-click as "shoot".  Or
provide "shoot" as a pop-up selection.

Long ago, I tried to specify a single-cell PAS field.  The host application
rejected
this, claiming that a light pen can not resolve a single cell.  Bad Lowest
Common
Denominator design.  The application should support a possibly hi-res light pen
or other PAS device.

-- gil