Mark Jacobs - Listserv wrote:

>We're in a parallel sysplex, sharing most everything, and need to begin
>planning activities to remove one system from the sysplex, while continuing to
>use it to run a subset of our current workload.

Why? You lose many benefits of being in a SysPlex, but do you have
workload/performance problems? Do you have applications being migrated off
mainframe?

Alternative. Create a NEW Sysplex and build up your new LPAR inside it.

>Some of the things we need to consider are;

If you want to move a LPAR off the Sysplex, consider isolating and duplicate
everything.

>  *   PDS/e Sharing
>  *   Catalogs (we're ECS shared now)

No sharing of catalogs. Just that unless you like taking risks.

>  *   Shared DASD

You can share DASD and its contents, but just make sure allocation/deletion of
datasets are limited/restricted. Say you create a dsn A.B.C in one Sysplex,
then you cannot delete it in other Sysplex or LPAR outside the original Sysplex.

>  *   RACF Database Sharing (Sysplex Enabled)

Do not share RACF DB outside a Sysplex. Turn of sharing completely and only
enable that for remaining LPARs inside the Sysplex.  You will need a separate
ICHRDSNT module for each LPAR.

Also, consider separate naming standards for each LPAR inside/outside your
Sysplex.

>  *   JES2 Checkpoint in CF

You have enough volsers for all the duplicate datasets? You need a set of
Checkpoint for each unshared JES2 datasets. The same goes for
HSM/SMS/SMF/Automation software/Tape Management system/etc.

>  *   ZFS File Systems? (This system is not in a shared OMVS Environment)

Consider creating the zFS for each LPAR without sharing of course.

>I'd like people to shoot things at me that I might have missed while I keep on
>looking myself.

Good luck. You will need it.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht