Thanks to everyone. I'm going to recommend to management that we don't go down
this path, and use a more reasonable one.

Our new owners are closing our division, which includes shutting down the
mainframe environment for most things. One or two applications need to have a
mainframe home for a while after everything else is shutdown, hence research on
whether it's feasible to begin a system split prior to everything else being
shut down.

Mark Jacobs