On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 22:33:19 -0500, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:

>Thank you Gil
>You have confirmed what I suspected since I've seen the code.  The developer
>has introduced a non-standard code that is compatible only with GNU make.  I
>have already complained about the issue as introduction of non-standard code
>would definitely hamper any port to a non 'make' environment.

We could discuss whether standards, like grammars, should be
regarded as prescriptive or descriptive.

>What I will probably do is, in my port scripts (I have a whole system to
>automate the port, resolve dependencies, etc.), I will add some logic to
>replace these values with known external values (from a config file), or spit
>an error message when a new, yet unseed such value is introduced.  Basically,
>mimic the 'make' action in that regard.

That's what configure, not gmake, is supposed to do.
Did you run configure?  Configure tailors Makefile and
one or more header flles to work in a multitude of environments,
both standard and nonstandard.

The gmake construct that caused me the most problem is VPATH.
I simply used gmake which is available from Rocket Ported Tools,
I believe.

-- gil