On 13/01/2019 7:06 pm, Tony Thigpen wrote:
I have seen some reports that current C compilers, which understand the z-hardware pipeline, can actually produce object that is faster running than an assembler. Mainly because no sane assembler programmer would produce great pipe-line code because it would be un-maintanable.

It's well established that that's been true for a well over a decade now. Not just C but all compilers including COBOL which got a new optimizer a few releases back.

The game changer for systems programming was Metal/C which can be used for AR mode stuff using __far pointers. I still maintain that some code is still better written in assembler. I'm a C/C++ programmer these days but for some subroutines an assembler program is much easier to understand then lots of inlinedĀ  __asm() blocks.

I am an assembler programmer, not a C programmer, so I view the reports with some speciesism.

Tony Thigpen