An odd thing happened when I was looking at an application that was burning CPU. Because they had gone to LBI (Large Block Interface) and because we were using a VTS (don't know which one), reads and buffer xfer were faster to C-Store (memory) than DASD was!! Since they were also doing READ READ CHECK (a BSAM thing that allows one to do work and not be waiting on I/O), they had basically tuned out I/O waits!!.

IF you know your JOBs are using LBI, the following may not mean anything to you:

I had offloaded enough of test DATA for that application to take up 2 3390-3 volumes. And then I loaded that much to "tape" using LBI. Our system read the same data from the "tape" faster than it did the disk drives (back on z12 CECs).

If you haven't verified that their applications can handle LBI, you might want to do this. You might cut down on the number of tape volumes you have in your VTS as a result of going to LBI.

This may also tell you what "tape" data sets are your low hanging fruit for getting back some of your resources.

While what I'm saying may seem to you to go opposite of what you are trying to do, you may find this bit of info helps you deal with both situations, too much data for DASD staging, and too little data to be worth eating up tape.

HTHs,
Steve Thompson