Don't want to start a War between the 2 versions, but I'm curious as to why you
believe JES3 to be superior to JES2 ??  Is this from a Systems perspective ??
Maybe JES3 does far many things that JES2 doesn't IDK.  But for me, I'm not a
System guy, I'm a technical guy that has worked with many applications for
vendors.  Almost all sites I have worked on used JES2 (and I'm very comfortable
with it).  But 1 site had JES3...when you develop a Credit Card application for
a large Bank on JES2...it had about 3200+ jobs to run daily.  Putting those
jobs on JES3 was a total disaster.  At the time, JES3 required all datasets to
exist or the job would JCL Error.  Even jobs with a couple input files,
creating an output file...it would require output to be there.  To fix this, it
required us to split many jobs in half, some even more...the run total got to
be somewhere around 6500+ jobs in total.  But we had to build dataset create
jobs that were parm cards to a utility to create the files, because if JES3
scanned the JCL and couldn't find it...boom JCL ERROR.

So, I was scarred because "I" saw this restriction as pretty stupid...and never
saw the point.

To me JES2 is and was exactly what I believe it was designed for a tool to
support and run applications very efficiently, whereas I felt that JES3 was
getting in the way of normal application jobs.  Seemed like we were constantly
trying to please JES3 in some way...so I hope and pray this "standard" wont
make it to JES2.

Thanks,

Tom Savor