Nothing ever goes to prod unless its not thru the migration process, if a PTF
is needed for prod and our sandbox is not fully tested (which has not happened)
it gets applied to the test lpar's sysres. I understand the scenario you're
talking about, I've just never had the need to apply a PTF on PROD without
going to test first. time is on my side, my team tests as soon as I IPL the
test system (sandbox), so that scenario has not happened, and I'm prepared to
move that service to prod, with a needed PTF.
and again, it all depends on what the specific PTF touches, some are compile
lib update, mac updates, rexx.....so many different scenarios
I don't roll out maint or service levels but once or twice a year, that's
mandated by leadership, so maybe 4 IPL's per year, RSU at 6 month intervals ,
and RSU+TOLERATION before I freeze the systems and start the next ServerPac
install
I can't speak to every scenario, but again, at this small site with mainframe
going away and more and more distributed applications, this process works well.
so I guess, I'll keep my fingers crossed behind my back and say "I've never had
to apply an emergency PTF" on top of a prod system when my latest RSU level is
still being tested.

Carmen Vitullo