On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:26:45 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>Well, for some devices the CU and device were in the same box, e.g., 2501.

Yes.  A-units (Axx models) often include(d) at least one, possibly two or even
four, I/O devices, with B units (Bxx models) providing expansion.  Last CU
standing in the A/B world was, I think, the IBM 3590, but it all went out the
window when the 3592s made their debut.

While it was interesting for IBM to wear it's engineering designs on its
visible sleeve, it was confusing.   Model numbers today are more expressions of
marketing than of the underlying technology.

Fun times.

Alan Altmark
IBM