For the first time ever, we are considering turning on SMS for tape. We've had
decades of business practice where SMS and tape never intersect. My main
concern is this: without SMS, a tape data set can be created and used without
involving any ICF catalog. One 'benefit' of this practice is that multiple
like-named tape data sets can coexist in the tape library as long a user is
careful to provide correct volser information. The tape management system must
support this option. We used CA-1 for years, and now RMM for years. As long as
the user is careful, uncataloged tape data sets can be handled just fine.

SMS, however, introduces a whole new variable. In general, an SMS data
set-certainly for DASD-must be cataloged. This precludes duplicate names. I
don't want to argue the merits of this restriction. The point is that we may
have countless cases of duplicate names. If they're not a problem within SMS,
then we're cool. If we have to change business practices to accommodate SMS, we
have a long and winding road to hoe.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson