From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Erika Dawson
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:35 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: SMS for tape

With system-managed (SMStape), we SMS-manage the tape libraries and tape
volumes and we do not manage the datasets on the tape volume (we leave this up
to the tape management system and the application that owns the data).  And
though we use an ICF catalog for our meta data (tape volume and tape
library-related information) we do not require that the tape datasets on an
SMS-managed volume be cataloged.   This is where we differ from SMS-managed
disk where the datasets are cataloged.   And with SMS-managed tape, the ACS
routines and constructs are then used to manage the tape volumes and tape
libraries.