On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 3:28 PM Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, this is encouraging. (We're still trying to figure out a
> non-disruptive non-chaotic way to test with SMS on for tape.) If we run
> this step for DASD
>
> // EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
> //SMSDSN   DD DISP=(NEW,KEEP),DSN=any.SMS.name,UNIT=SYSALLDA,...
>
> the data set gets cataloged even though not requested. Then a second run
> of the same step then fails because of dup name in the catalog.
>
> If this step can be run multiple times with UNIT=TAPE, then I think we'll
> be fine. Again, we don't know how common this practice is, but we don't
> want any nasty surprise.

Silly me will ask: "Why not DISP=(NEW,DELETE)?"

TRANSCRIPT:

        3 //DD1 DD DISP=(NEW,DELETE),DSN=ASH009.JUNK.BAD,UNIT=SYSALLDA,
          // SPACE=(TRK,1)
ICH70001I ASH009   LAST ACCESS AT 06:23:02 ON THURSDAY, JULY 18, 2019
IEF236I ALLOC. FOR DOCMD9XX ALLOC
IGD101I SMS ALLOCATED TO DDNAME (DD1     )
        DSN (ASH009.JUNK.BAD                             )
        STORCLAS (SCTSO) MGMTCLAS (MCNOMIG) DATACLAS (DCSTD1)
        VOL SER NOS= TD1367

I will also ask why you don't the ACSTEST facility in ISMF? We test changes
to ACS routines by using ISMF option 7 -- Automatic Class Selection. In
that menu, option 1 to EDIT the appropriate ACS source routine. Then option
2 to TRANSLATE it into a "testing" SCDS dataset (which had been previously
refreshed from the production one). Option 3 to VALIDATE it. And finally
option 4 to set up tests. And we keep a number of test members around to
validate that everything is working as we desire.

> .
> .
> J.O.Skip Robinson
> Southern California Edison Company
> Electric Dragon Team Paddler
> SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
> 323-715-0595 Mobile
> 626-543-6132 Office ⇐=== NEW
> robin...@sce.com

We all agree on the necessity of compromise. We just can't agree on when
it's necessary to compromise. -- Larry Wall

Maranatha! <><
John McKown