On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 17:39:09 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> Why not?  The host should transmit characters counted by the RDW, then NULs
>> to the end
>> of the field.  Characters typed over those NULs would be returned to the
>> host on Read
>> Modified; the NULs ignored.
>
>Yes, ignored, not transmitted to the host. There will be no way to know which
>null the user overtyped with a space.

Does it matter?

I accept that as a limitation of the 327x data stream design.  I've exploited it
at times to insert a character such as ';' at the end of a line when the cursor
is inconveniently far:

Tab to next line.
Back-arrow twice.
Type ';'
ENTER.  The ';' scoots to where I want it.

If blanks were treated by Edit as ordinary characters, even as 3270
does, that ';' would appear after the blanks.  If I didn't want that,
I shouldn't have inserted the blanks in the first place.

-- gil